Thursday, December 4, 2008


So many things happened today. I went to class, then worked on a paper from noon until five, and actually kind of finished it.  (Thanks to M, who sat in a tiny room with me also writing, playing music, and yelling at me when I talked to her.)  Afterwards, I was exhausted, but we had planned to go to the new Outdoor Ed. climbing wall unveiling party for free pizza and a little bit of climbing.  The pizza was amazing.  It was nice to climb, though the climbing wasn't great and I'm so weak right now that my arms felt like Popeye arms after two climbs.  Then afterwards, we went for $.25 wings at a place we used to go every Thursday last semester.  Now, there's a story behind $.25 wings, but I'll tell the very brief version:

One week we went out for some food and drinks after Ben and his friend N got out of class.  They had already been there a while by the time I got there, but we ordered more food and noticed that it said Thursdays: $.25 wings on the blackboard.  Ben didn't think that was so great, since he had gone to school in New York, and wings had sometimes been things like $.10 there, but we decided to get some and started calculating how many we should get based on their price.  The waitress interrupted us to tell us that they were, in fact, $.25 a plate.  When we asked her how many wings were on a plate, she told us that it could be as many as we wanted, as long as they fit.  We had her check to make sure she wasn't wrong, because $.25 for a plate of wings sounded ridiculous.  She came back and was sure.  So, we kept coming back for many weeks, each time checking to make sure that this RIDICULOUS deal was really legitimite.  There were a couple of occasions in which there were so many of us there that there were hundreds of wings at the table.  We'd bring home boxes of wings because had ordered too many.  I think we may have even ordered boxes of wings to go!  (I seem to not be telling the short version of this story.)  Anyway, this went on until the semester was over, and before N went away for the summer, he and Ben and I went on one last Thursday.  We got 25 wings and the bill came out to $6.50.  $6.25 would have been $.25 each (they probably just added a little wrong), so that was.... well, $.25 a wing, not $.25 a plate.  So we asked the waiter, who had already told us that he hadn't worked there since last summer, and he said of course it was $.25 a wing, because $.25 a plate would be ridiculous.  We agreed that it was ridiculous, telling him that we had checked in with at least three different waitresses over at least six weeks.  He told us to ask the owner, who might honor that, even though it wasn't legit.  So N asked the owner, starting with "We don't want to get anybody fired, but..." and the owner, of course, said "$.25 a plate?  That's crazy!" to which we all said, "We know!"  Needless to say that now wings are $.25 a wing, and a plate of 25 wings for $6.25 is not bad (unless you've had the same plate of wings for $.25).  Today was only the first or second time we've been back since and N has since become a vegetarian (as were half the people at the table), so we ordered 24 wings.... Not quite like last semester, but it was fun and I think the wings were just what I needed....

2 more papers this weekend....   

5 comments:

Janine said...

have i told this story here before?

Joelle said...

a) Popeye arms?!?!

b) It is spelled legitimate. I wouldn't publicly correct you if you weren't killing me at Scrabble right now. But you are.

c) That was not the brief version.

Janine said...

a. Popeye arms - when my forearms feel really tight and i feel like they're bulging with muscles. it happens when i use my arms a lot for climbing...

b. oh dear. i know the spelling, but when i type long stories quickly, i rely on little squiggly underlines to help me! you'll kick my butt soon enough, i assure you.

c. no. not the brief version.

Nick Haberek said...

I'd consider not being a hippy-tarian if wings were still $.25 per plate... And we would go a lot more often!

Nick Haberek said...

I'd stop being a hippy-tarian if they still had $.25 plates of wings. We'd go a lot more too!