Saturday, December 20, 2008


Have any of you experienced a period of life when you have sudden urges to reproduce your grandmothers' standards?  It's been happening to me more and more lately.  From my mom's mom: I now can make pretty good msoki, prella (a spinach, beef, and bean dish whose name I have butchered), and my own version of chakchouka.  These links are not to her recipes.  The ones I can find online are all very similar to hers, but they all include spices like cinnamon, cloves, coriander, and cilantro, which I use in my every day cooking, but I don't recall her ever having used.  Interesting....  Anyway, from my dad's mom, we have the traditional Jewish foods.  I can now make a pretty excellent version of matzo ball soup.  I made kugel, challah, and latkes last week, and today I had the biggest urge to make my grandmother's brisket.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find anyone who knew what she put in it.  I'll have to dig a little deeper, I guess.  But for today, I got out the slow cooker and put in the things I knew went in it (beef brisket (though all I could find at the supermarket was corned beef brisket and I have no idea how that'll be different besides it being pretty expensive), carrots, onions, celery?, tomato paste) and added a couple other things (a little bit of bbq sauce, some beef broth, onion soup mix, fresh garlic...) and I'm hoping something yummy comes out in a bunch of hours....

1 comment:

sled dog skippy said...

Hi, this is Skippy, a friend of the Vernons. I figured if you are friends with them, you must have SOME sense of humor. Thought you'd enjoy this:
http://www.jewlicious.com/2008/11/israeli-hip-hop-single-features-cks-favorite-dish/

-Sled Dog Skippy in Alaska (the only Jew for miles)