Tuesday, June 16, 2009

After lounging on the couch for a good chunk of the day, trying to get some work done, I decided it was time for a serious physical challenge. I've been going to yoga lately, and to the gym for some reading/biking or reading/treadmill, but not a lot of running. So I decided I would run to campus, which is about 6 miles. (I usually do about half that distance, since we were training for a 5k...) When I say run, I really mean run/jog/walk, since I can't yet make myself run for more than about 5 minutes without a little walking in between... So I got all dressed and ready to go, and then realized that my sneakers were in Ben's car, which was not even on campus, but at Mendum's Pond with him.... I started frantically looking for my other pair of sneakers, which fit badly and I was a little wary of wearing (that sounds funny), but were better than nothing. Anyway, I couldn't find them, and I really wanted to do it, so I went online and checked out the hours for the running store in town. Since its website said it was open, I decided to drive over and buy a new pair of running shoes, since I really need some new ones anyway. But when I got there, it was closed! (Ben says they don't really have any regular hours as far as he can tell.) So I drove home and didn't know what to do. I thought maybe I would just walk there in sandals, but that wouldn't be as much fun or challenging for me. So I decided I'd look around the house on some off chance that I could find the other sneakers or my usual sneakers had made it into the house from Ben's car. Well, they had. The bag that held them was right in the bedroom in plain view. So I put them on, and after a couple more false starts involving forgotten heart rate monitors and watches and trying to figure out where to put my keys while I ran, I was off. Lovely day. Lovely run. Burned over 1000 calories. Good day. Thanks, sneakers, for being where I was sure you weren't.

No comments: