Tuesday, November 27, 2012


So, we invited Abby over for dinner, and then I thought "Oh shit! What am I going to make?" So, as I was about to leave for work today, I opened the freezer, pulled out one of the chuck steaks from our farm share and poured basically everything I could find into a big bowl with it to leave it to marinate for the day. I came home and made a bunch of home made french fries, some horseradish mustard mayo and some chipotle mayo and eventually started thinking about the steak. I started cooking it about 15 minutes before Abby was to arrive. Seared it on each side for 2 minutes and then stuck it in the oven at 350. When Abby got here (with an amazing salad with lots of almonds and avocado), Ben and I realized it probably wouldn't be done for another 20 minutes or so. So we problem solved by taking it out of the oven, slicing it so that it was half the thickness and putting it on the electric grill for a couple minutes. After reading enough about chuck steaks that I was sure it was going to be inedibly chewy, I didn't expect much. But it turned out being one of the best steaks we've managed to make!

Yay to an amazing dinner with amazing people!

No comments: